Pages

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Menu Planning - Week 1

It seems that one favorable thing about me getting older is that I'm more driven to be organized (and keep things that way). I have failed miserably the last few years though at planning meals and making a grocery list. I was beginning to feel like Aunt Bea, going "to the market" EVERY day for the evening supper. For the record, I don't like the word "supper". I remember telling my mom, at a young age, that I wanted our family to call the evening meal "dinner"--not "supper". Just one of my many odd quirks. Anyway, last Friday I decided to challenge myself to making a menu for the week and then creating a shopping list. I actually did it. I chose 6 meals, made my list, went to the store, and spent a fortune. Meal one was today. I made Mexican Chicken-Sour Cream Lasagna and it was delicious. Here is a picture of the finished dish and the recipe.





INGREDIENTS
12 uncooked lasagna noodles
2 cans (10 3/4 oz each) condensed cream of chicken soup
1 container (8 oz) sour cream
1/4 cup milk
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso® chopped green chiles, undrained
8 to 10 medium green onions, sliced (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
3 cups finely shredded Mexican-style Cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese blend (12 oz)
1 large red bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
1 can (2.25 oz) sliced ripe olives, drained
1 cup crushed nacho cheese-flavor tortilla chips
Additional chopped or whole fresh cilantro leaves, if desired

DIRECTIONS
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom and sides of 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Cook and drain noodles as directed on package. Meanwhile, in large bowl, mix soup, sour cream, milk, cumin, garlic powder, chicken and chiles.
2. Spread about 1 1/4 cups of the chicken mixture in baking dish. Top with 4 noodles. Spread 1 1/4 cups chicken mixture over noodles; sprinkle with onions and cilantro. Sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheese.
3. Top with 4 noodles. Spread 1 1/4 cups chicken mixture over noodles; sprinkle with bell pepper and olives. Sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheese. Top with 4 noodles; spread with remaining chicken mixture.
4. Bake uncovered 30 minutes; sprinkle with tortilla chips and remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake 15 to 30 minutes longer or until bubbly and hot in center. Sprinkle with additional cilantro. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.

I served a tomato and green onion (chopped) lettuce salad on the side. ENJOY!

4 comments:

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Tresa, this sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Steve loves anything Mexican.

Momma Truitt said...

I have been trying to get more organized and cook more instead of eating out all the time. I gave Mallory a website that has super easy dinners to make. This looks amazing! And easy too! Thanks for sharing!

PS. The website is
http://www.kevinandamanda.com/recipes/

http://www.kevinandamanda.com/scrapbook/recipes/index.html


Look forward to more recipes from you :)

Tresa said...

This was really good.

Thanks for the link Amanda. I need inspiration! I am planning to post all of my new recipes this week.

Leasa said...

I can't wait to try this recipe and see what else you have up your sleeve for DINNER this week!