Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Golden Couple

On February 20, 2010 my parents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary. They were married in Marion, Indiana at the Ninth Street Methodist Church. I think their wedding picture could be the model for a "retro" cake topper and bride & groom paper dolls. As a child, I would frequently flip through their wedding album and study each picture. I thought my mom was prettiest bride, ever; my dad the most handsomest groom. Weddings were simple in 1960. They served cake, mints, nuts and punch at their reception. Decorations consisted of crepe paper and tissue paper wedding bells. The bridesmaids wore pretty formals, of their choice--most likely a dress they already had. The men wore suits. Life was simpler.

Mom and dad chose to celebrate their anniversary at a long-loved family restaurant called Rosie's Little Italy. The family enjoyed a delicious meal and then we went to their house for anniversary cake, gifts and lots of reminiscing. Mom brought out her wedding gown and veil. And I flipped through their wedding album, yet again. What a delightful evening!

Happy 50th wedding anniversary to my wonderful and loving parents!

I love you!

3 comments:

Leasa said...

What a lovely tribute.

Smart Mouth Broad said...

I read this a few days ago and can't figure out why I didn't comment. I must have read it on my blackberry. My midlife mind is so easily confused.

Leasa is so right, this is a beautiful tribute to the love of your parents. What an accomplishment! I love that wedding picture. So beautiful!

Mitzi Curi said...

What a nice celebration you had for your deserving parents! They look very happy after all these years. What a great accomplishment it is to be married so long!